Thursday 14 November 2013

Woodstove Cooking II: The Pancake and Bacon Experiment

     One of the favourite meals for a weekend morning in my family is pancakes, with bacon of course. Everything is better with bacon.
     To start I built up a big  fire.  I wanted to make sure the stove top was nice and hot because I like crispy bacon and a hot cast iron pan will give you the best crispy bacon.  I placed the pan on the front left of the stove because I found that is the hottest spot. Then I started cooking the bacon. As the cooking went along the bacon was crisping up too fast, edging towards burnt so I moved the pan more towards the back of the stove.  If I had had another pan I could have started the pancakes next to the bacon as they don't need as much heat.  Once the bacon was done, the pan was moved to the middle of the stove and the pancakes were made.  While I was making the pancakes I had to add more wood as the oven top started to cool down a bit. The pancakes turned out beautifully.  The bacon was nice and crispy, just the way I like it.  Unfortunately the bacon was all eaten by my little bacon monsters before the pancakes were ready.  Next time, we will use either a griddle or another cast iron frypan.  Maybe we will go all out and do potatoes and eggs as well.

     I got a little bacon grease, ok a lot of bacon grease, on the stove top.  One of my next posts, therefore, will be a post on how to clean the top of the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment